Sunday, January 11, 2009

Ice Fishing on a Sunday

Well we had a heat wave today! 18 degrees above zero, weehoo! So let's hit the ice! The lakes are at about 18" thick and much to my parents dismay, we drive out on the ice. We have a little portable fish house that can be set up in a jiffy and makes a great warming house when it gets too cold checking tip-ups out on the ice.


Quite of few of the wrestling family were there, Big Dan, Howie, Gary, John Boy and ice fishing zen master Rick, plus all of the associated boys. I was the one taking pictures and oh yeah, I out fished them!



Zen Master shows young grasshopper how to use smelt on Tip-ups.




Bo and Mirror joined us for the day. Pannie, (Mirror's nickname) had a blast running around checking on all of the boys as they were fishing. She was the official greeter when additional fishermen would arrive at our little community. Bo had a blast following all of the trials that any little woodland animal would have left.



Levi got the first tip-up with this little guy (Northern) just short of they call a "snot rocket." A term of endearment by the local fishermen!




The beauty of a fish house; gives you wonderful clarity where as out in the open you have the black hole! I could see my Euro Larvae 10 feet down in da hole in the fish house. I just a few minutes earlier I had pulled a pumpkin seed sunny out of the ice.






I learned about using tip-ups from Levi today. You have to hook a shiner in the back just under the spinal column and then drop it down two arm lengths, put down the mat, click the flag and wait for a hit. When the Northern hits it the reel with spine and releases the flag. Then you go running to set the hook.



Oh yeah, I have to prove I caught fish!



So when are you coming Ice Fishing??

No comments:

Post a Comment